image1

12 Dangers of Christmas

Whilst Christmas is a fun time for us, there are a few dangers lurking for our pets. Here are the top 12.


1. Decorations

Sparkly decorations can prove to be irresistible to pets. They can cause problems if they are ingested. Never leave your pet unattended near the tree and supervise when in decorated rooms. 


2. String

String can be a serious hazard to pets if it gets trapped inside its intestines and may require surgery to remove. Make sure to dispose of string properly. 


3.Nuts

After digesting nuts, dogs may suffer from a variety of symptoms, including weakness, overheating and vomiting. Supportive therapy may be needed within 12 hours after eating nuts if the dog deteriorates. If caught early, the prognosis for recovery tends to be very good.


4. Festive Parties

'Tis the season to be jolly... However, having lots of people in the house may make your pet feel anxious or scared. Always provide a quiet, safe place for them to relax and provide distractions such as a new toy or bone to help them relax.


5. Poisonous Plants

Amaryllis, Poinsettias, Holly berries, Mistletoe and Yew are all irritants and potentially toxic to your pets if digested. If this happens, watch for drooling, mouth sores, vomiting and diarrhoea. Even drinking the water from the base of your Christmas Tree can cause these signs. Try and keep plants away from pets.


6. Alcohol

Alcohol consumption can cause heart arrhythmias, tremors, seizures and even fatalities. Remember to keep alcoholic drinks away from pets as some love the taste.. Looks like you're going to have to drink it all at once!


7. Decorative Lights

Be careful with Christmas lights, teething animals may want to chew on wires/cables. This may cause burns to the mouth or electrocution and may lead to hospitalisation. 


8. Chocolate

Chocolate is probably the most well known toxic food to our pets. The darker the chocolate, the more Theobromine present. If you have any concerns about chocolate consumption give us a call. 


9. Festive Food

It's hard to resist those pleading eyes, but giving your pets a Christmas dinner can cause intestinal upset (vomiting and diarrhoea). Even festive pet treats can be harsh on sensitive tummies. Be extra careful with leftover Christmas dinner as poultry bones splinter and can lead to mouth injuries or choking. 


10. Grapes and Raisins

Ingesting these fruits can induce kidney failure in both dogs and cats. The amount required to produce such an effect differs with each individual. Steer clear of offering fresh or dried grapes and raisins.


11. Toy Parts

Parts from children's toys can be dangerous to your pets. Dogs in particular have a habit of picking toys up or chewing them. Small parts may pass through but larger parts may cause intestinal blockages and/or gut perforations. Always supervise your pets around toys and make sure toys are put away after use. 


12. Sweets/Liquorice

Some sweets contain artificial sweetener called Xylitol. This can cause blood glucose to drop resulting in the animal collapsing. Most sweets can also cause a laxative effect... Not something you want to wake up to Christmas morning.